Arctic surf clams or ‘Hokkigai’ are exceptionally suited for sushi and other Asian cuisine. Ready to serve and best used in cold applications such as sushi or salads, they offer a beautiful rose / white coloration, mild aroma and very juicy texture with a slight crunch and fresh, distinguished taste. They can also be used in hot dishes, such as stir-fry and soup, if they are added at the very end to prevent over-cooking.
For best results, store clams in your freezer until you are ready to defrost them for use.
We recommend defrosting them overnight in your refrigerator.
For quick defrost, place clams in a sealed bag and immerse in cold water for 30 minutes.
Do not defrost in the microwave. After defrosting, the clams can be stored in your refrigerator for one day.
Do not refreeze after thawing.
How to Prepare :-
- 1) Ensure clams are fully defrosted.
- 2) Cut clam straight through the middle (prime cut) resulting in two identical looking pieces of clam.
- 3) Once the clam is cut in half, remove any black material from the inside gut cavity and discard. Any yellow or beige colored material should be left as it provides exceptional flavor to the clam.
- 4) Trim any loose ends of the clam.
- 5) Serve in cold applications (sushi, salads) or add at the end of a hot application to prevent over-cooking.
Product of Canada.